Sunday, May 27, 2018

Bourbon pecan tart
State of Grace is a classy place and really knows how to put on the dining dance with shows of generosity and continuous service. I was impressed that the server correctly guessed my trivia question about their sticky toffee pudding - "Sticky toffee pudding is 90% what?" Answer: Medjool dates.

However the bourbon pecan tart leaves something to be desired. I liked the filling but the crust was pretty awful. The crust isn't made with some amazing house-rendered lard or an all-butter shortbread crust. It tasted somewhat raw and floury. It's even more surprising given the fact that the house made crackers the oysters are served with and the hushpuppies are delicious. I believe their pastry chef should consider making a pecan bar with a modified version of their crackers as a base instead.

Update: The pie was no longer on the menu the last time I visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment