Sunday, September 22, 2019

Traditional Swiss End of Summer Pie: Apricot Pie


I learned from a (now sadly closed for those of us that love European style pies) Swiss pie bakery called Kindli Haus on White Oak in the Houston Heights that for the Swiss a traditional September pie is Apricot Pie. For me fresh apricots can often be too dry and bland (hence apriums that are bred to have the juiciness of plums but the flavor of apricots), but I love them after they are transformed into dried and baked apricots when they become super flavorful. 




I was in Galveston doing some antique shopping and Twice Around Treasures 2528 Market St often has a nice selection of older cookbooks. I found this Swiss cookbook by Marianne Haltenbach called Cooking in Switzerland that retails for >$100 online, so I took some shots from the dessert part of the cookbook including the Apricot, Almond and Prune, and Thurgau Apple pies since I haven't done much baking with Swiss recipes.


Engadine Nut Cake

Bundner Chocolate Cake and Sour Cream Cake


Carrot Cake and Monastery Pie
Apricot Pie
Swiss Prune Tart

Almond and Prune Pie and Fruit Juice Pie
Vaudois Wine Cake and Thurgau Apple Pie
Thurgau Apple Pie


Since I'm also a big fan of German winter desserts I also captured the sections on their fruitcakes and lebkuchen.
Bern Braid

Lebkuchen and Schwyz Fruit Cake
Fruit Bread
 This Swiss Cherry Tart looks to be worth making too.


No comments:

Post a Comment